Sep 24, 2010

Day 3

Day 3:  Oklahoma City to Gallup, New Mexico

Oh the traffic! When we rolled into the hotel just outside of Oklahoma City we asked the dude behind the desk ( who was very nice by the way, gave me a free water bottle) about going into the city in the morning. He told us that rush hour was at 7am and that it would take us forever once we got closer.  

Now, maybe I’m crazy or maybe I’ve just been living outside of DC too long but, the “rush hour traffic” here was like driving to church on Sunday morning!  There was ( from what I could see) one exit ramp full of cars, which was moving, and one lane coming from a different direction moving about 10mph under the speed limit( the speed limit it 65mph, so they were still going at a good rate). People here DO NOT KNOW what traffic is!  I wonder what would happen to them if they came to NOVA and experienced at little I-95? Hmmm

 Indian Nation: Off of I-40, starting in Oklahoma there have been signs. When the Indians were forced onto reservations here, they named the land after their tribe. We’ve seen Chockata Nation, Creek Nation and so on and so forth.  It’s been really neat and it makes me want to research the tribes and find out their individual stories.

Giant Duck: Stopped off in Amarillo, TX for lunch and saw this giant yellow duck.

Devil’s Rope Museum: My mom has been obsessed with this place since I was in middle school. I did a research paper and presentation when I was like in 7th grade on barbed wire, we found info from this places website. Anywho, I texted her when we drove by it and she called us and said that we HAD to go…and this is what the conversation sounded like

Mom,” It’s the largest barbed wire museum in the US!”
To which my father replied, “That’s because it’s probably the only one!”

The museum was in the middle of nowhere and we didn’t end up stopping. Needless to say my mom was very disappointed and reminded us of how barbed wire changed farming, the military and the world at large.  Oh, well, maybe on our next trip!

Boots are Made for Walking… and that’s just what they’ll do.  On my GPS instead of a car I have little boots.  Every time I look at the screen, I start sing that song by Nancy Sinatra.

The Great Search for the Rio Grande (Another piece of geography I half got to see.) We rolled into Albuquerque, and we were hopeful to get to a waterfront to get some pictures. Mission Failed.  Can you believe that we couldn’t find the river!! 

75 during the day, 65 at night

Driving Fast: This is the fastest speed limit I’ve ever seen posted, and the weirdest



If I Owned Land:  When we were driving through New Mexico, the land there had green mountains and dry, vast stretches of land. So I started talking about what I would do if I owned land and I came to two conclusions:   

1.      If I owned land in New Mexico I would breed Kangaroos. Yes, it would be incredible. Then, after I had hundreds of them I would start releasing them into the New Mexico country side. Soon the whole south western United States would be overrun by Kangaroos!  

2.      If I owned land on a mountain I would build a castle. A real, legit twelfth
century castle on the side of the mountain in the middle of nowhere, just to trip people out. It would be the funniest thing ever. Think about it…you’re driving down this really long boring road, there is nothing around and then…BAM! A castle. And by the time your mind realizes what you just saw…( a castle)… you think you’re losing your mind because you are back driving on the same boring road. Ah…so good.


One more day of travel for us, “are you ready boots? Start walkin’!”                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment