Oct 6, 2010

The Wonderful Artist!



'It was a bright and sunny morning in the pleasant time of summer,
when one of those black monks emerged from the abbey portal, and
bent his steps towards the house of the fair sisters. Heaven above
was blue, and earth beneath was green; the river glistened like a
path of diamonds in the sun; the birds poured forth their songs from
the shady trees; the lark soared high above the waving corn; and the
deep buzz of insects filled the air. Everything looked gay and
smiling; but the holy man walked gloomily on, with his eyes bent
upon the ground.”
  

I took this from a page out of Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens, one of my favorite authors.
I think it’s such a vivid picture of creation and man. I’m not sure it was meant to be written that way but that’s how I see it.  God’s wonderful creation spilling forth to display His splendor and yet… we walk with our heads down. What would happen if we looked up?  What if we just spent time breathing in creation, marveling at the glory of God through His artwork?


My siblings are into art. Becca is into painting eclectic and vintage looking things,  Josh is into sketching whatever he finds interesting and Paul is into…capturing the “moments” with cartooning. *coughcough*


I, on the other hand, rarely have the patience to sit down, keep my hand steady and endure the painful process of drawing, erasing, drawing, tilting you’re head, checking the picture, checking the color, checking the line, drawing, tilting, lining and so on and so forth.

That, my friends, is why a camera is a beautiful thing! *SNAP* moment captured.  

Oh look…someone is about to eat 3 hotdogs in one bite! *Snap*moment captured.

Oh my, that dude is about to do a dubble back flip! * SNAP*moment captured.


Hey! That guy is gonna ninja kick through the dry wall! * SNAP* (Picture of random person’s tee shirt blocking shot….  You give some you take some.)  

The last time I tried to draw a picture, or make a… err…umm… “Piece of art” was a fail. We had just watched the new “Alice in Wonderland” and I felt “inspired”. I grabbed some paper, my brother’s colored sketching pencils and I drew!  I drew clocks, swivels, swirls, circles, eyes and music notes. Lines of color streaming across the page, trees growing from abstract looking grass.  All the while hoping it would look interesting, that it would have depth and it would strike thought!
I asked my brother his view on the subject to which he replied, with confusion, “What is it?”  Then Becca had a look at it…and I won’t tell you what she said, but it made me want to never see that picture again.
 
The conclusion was, I am not an artist. No matter how hard I try, how inspired I’m feeling. It’s just not my gifting. I have the artistic capabilities of a small child…But God is a wonderful Artist!  



“When there were no oceans, I was given birth, when there were no springs abounding with water; before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth, before he made the earth or its fields or any of the dust of the world. I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep, when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep, when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth. Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.”
                                                     Proverb 8:24-31

No comments:

Post a Comment